Friday, October 7, 2011

Let's all wear Kilts!!!

The plane ride wasn't that bad. Maybe that's because I'm really good at sitting for hours and being patient. Also, Ipod's are a god send! When I arrived I immediately took a taxi to my hotel. The program that I had sent my school application to had told me to fly in two days earlier than I was supposed to so they paid for me to stay in a hotel in the heart of Glasgow.  The hotel was called the Carlton George. I stayed in my room for two days sleeping and watching some TV. I unfortunately had a terrible case of jet lag. Scotland is eight hours ahead of California.

While I was in my hotel I completely took advantage of the complimentary minibar and complimentary whiskey, scotch, and sherry.  I decided to take advantage of the fact that in Scotland you are legal to drink at 18.  I learned that I didn't have much of a taste for whisky. Scotch is alright but only just.  Sherry, now that's a good drink to sip on.  It wasn't to bad of a taste but the affects of the alcohol will really creep up on you.  I accidentally got pissed drunk and spent some time throwing up.  I think the puking was also an effect of the jet lag though.  Even though I got sick I still was having a good time, because all I could think about was how amazing it was that I was in Scotland!!!

I took a cab back to the airport on the second day early in the morning to meet up with the University's shuttle.  Their I met a lot of the other study abroad students.  In fact that day I met my "family".  We were all nervous and piled into a van on our way to Stirling.  I was still feeling jet lagged and was trying to be as social without falling asleep on someone.  It was on this van ride that I met Lily. We were sitting next to each other for the ride. She was outgoing and super friendly. We immediately connected. When we finally arrived and got our room assignments we were both bummed that we were in separate rooms. I thought I might never see her again but we had to much in common to let go of one another.  She became my best friend.

Meeting my flat mates was nerve racking but I was lucky. I got the best flat mate ever and his name was Eddie! He is the most friendly, outspoken, funny person you will ever meet.  He became like my brother.  Also he had a way about him that strongly suggested that he was gay. Later I found out he was bisexual. It was perfect because he was the best guy friend I could ask for. He always gave me good advice and looked after me the rest of the trip.

Myself and five others quickly formed a strong bond. We were a family. I had always wanted to feel part of a family. I never thought I would. It was like a dream come true.  I was the baby of the family. Our friend Kim was the mom, always telling us where we have to go and what we should do or try. We loved her for that.  Lily and Eddie became like twins. Both equally as protective of me and both hilarious.

The first night at the University all the study abroad kids went to a nearby local bar.  We got to know each other better and played some pool.  Since it was during the summer there weren't many local students around so we Americans took over the pub.  On Wednesdays and Saturdays the bar turned into a night club! I had never been dancing in a real night club before. Now I know why they say "it's so fun, it should be illegal"! I tell you the Scots know how to party. I wasn't sure what I was expecting for them to play for music but the DJ was amazing and totally busted out the best recent hits.

The first week we all found our groups and settled into our flats and got to know our way around Stirling.  My room in the flat had a fantastic view overlooking the loch.  It took me awhile to get used to saying loch instead of lake.  The loch was right on campus and was full of swans! It was like I had traveled into a dream... All my fears vanished within the first couple of days of staying at the University. I had made amazing friends, I had a wonderful flat, and I was going to travel all over Scotland.

We were not limited to Scotland though. Lily and I decided to take the train and go to London! We planned it within three days of meeting one another. Eddie hopped on board as well. Before we went to London though Lily, I, Eddie, and our other friend (Ken) decided to take an excursion to the Isle of Skye through a tour group called Backpackers. It was the Isle of Skye trip that affected me the most. After that I was changed. I don't know how it happened, I never thought it would happen, but somehow it happened....I learned the most traveling with my close friends all over the highlands of Scotland, only to reach the Isle of Skye and be completely blown away! I am still in shock, five months later, of what happened to me on that one weekend trip. Scotland, you got me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment