Friday, October 7, 2011

How It Came To Be.

First off, I think it is important to begin with a couple of simple facts. The first being that I have just turned 20. Second, I have only been in one relationship. Third, I travel the world.  The third reason is why I am currently a single girl.  I grew up in California (The Golden State). I am adopted and proud of it for some weird reason. I just prefer it this way I guess. My parents first sent me away at 15. Don't get the wrong idea, I wanted to go! It was my first solo trip. Before that they had always been there. Paris, London, Ireland, Mexico and Canada were already under my belt at that point; however, I wasn't completely prepared for three weeks of travel without a trusted companion or guide. Still, I was anxious to go.  I traveled to Costa Rica where I met up with a group of teens from across the world to embark on a three week adventure surfing the Pacific and Caribbean coast.  It was certainly an experience. I almost died white water rafting and chasing a pig.  Gotta love those near death experiences, they make the most entertaining stories.  Anyways, that trip was awhile ago but I mention it because that's when I became truly independent. After that I continued on with my studies and finished High School like any good straight A student (not that I'm bragging).

It was my junior year of high school that I met Frank. I hadn't planned to "meet" anyone until college because I was to focused on sports, school, and friends; however, he grew on me and I couldn't help but to fall in love with him. I waited a year for that boy to ask me out and when he finally did nothing was the same. He became a part of my small, fucked up family.

My mother is a workaholic and my father an alcoholic. I guess it's a typical family situation for most; however, not for Frank. Frank was raised as a Mormon. That's right, a freaking Mormon. He's not a Mormon anymore though. Apparently you are not "eligible" to serve the church if you have pre-marital sex.  I would feel bad about screwing up his standing with his church but I know, for him, it was worth it.

I went away for college after high school. I didn't want to stay in town because of my dad's drinking problem. I wanted a change of scenery but unfortunately I had to leave Frank behind. We stayed together that whole year though, doing a long distance relationship. You should know I am a very loyal person.

I got screwed over in college. I shared one room with two girls. Both were Hispanic and bonded quickly. I became the outsider. It was funny cause they didn't know that I speak some Spanish. When they had their little "private" conversations I actually did know what they were saying. It was also a coed dorm. That made everything all the more interesting. The bathroom stalls where not very private and neither were the showers. Being open minded and okay with almost anything, I wasn't bothered much; however, we all had our awkward moments in that one shared bathroom.

I came home from that college the next year to attend a city college. There were many reasons to come home. I missed Frank, it wasn't the right school for me, I was bored of the people, and I found out just how sick my dad was getting from his drinking problem. Although I came back to help out around the house and to work on rebuilding a connection with my dad, I soon became bored. Also there is only so much you can do for someone before you realize that you have to take care of yourself as well.  I needed to get away again, just for a bit. I needed my life to mean something again.

Frank asked me to take a trip with him.  I had never been so happy. We had been together for two years and he had never been out of the country. I was the exact opposite. After I graduated High School I had taken another trip with a group of girls from my senior class. It was just the five of us and a girl councilor who became more of a friend then an chaperon. We traveled to Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii. I had "sex on the beach" in two of those places. I know where your mind just went but I was talking about the drink! I was only 17 when I went on that trip but the drinking age was quite low in a couple places. I wasn't an underage drinker at the time but I couldn't resist trying a few while I was legal.  I experienced many new things on that trip. I went Bungee Jumping, Zorbing (you roll down a hill in a big ball), Mud bathing, Luging, and did a bit of clubbing. It was a fun time.  I was in Australia looking at the Opera house when I heard Michael Jackson had died. That's a random memory.

Back to topic. Frank asked me to take a trip with him.  We decided on Egypt but then changed it to Italy because we thought Venice would be romantic.  As the time came to buy our tickets though, Frank let me down. He said that instead of going with me on our vacation he was gonna go on a cruise with his family.  It sounded like he would have a great time....Me on the other hand, I needed to get away and he literally bailed on me last minute. This is about the time Frank and I started having trouble with our relationship. This and other things were just not good anymore.

I was desperate to get away for awhile so I decided to apply to study abroad. There had been one place that I had always wanted to go but had forgotten about over time. Scotland. I applied after the deadline and was not expecting to hear back from the University. By some miracle they called and told me that they wanted me in the program. This was literally 6 days before I was to leave.  I don't know what I was thinking or how I did it but I was off again solo, my bags all packed and ready for anything. I would be spending the next month in Scotland.  This is where my story really begins.... ;)


            

No comments:

Post a Comment